The clocks are going back. The tempting thing to do is sleep in. The better thing to do is use your hour for good. We have a compromise: make the world a little better, from the comfort of your own bed.Just in time for our European readers, and with a week’s warning for our North American audience, five great ways to use your spare hour:
- Help United Way solve an organizational challenge – United Way helps millions of individuals and communities in countless ways. Help them scale effectively. Bonus: if you win the challenge, loan the prize money to a self-starter in need of help.
- Donate rice the fun way – FreeRice has teamed up with the United Nations World Food Program so that your success in their online games corresponds to rice donations. So far, players have raised enough rice for over 10 million meals.
- Add your name to causes you care about – Skeptics think online petitions are a waste of time, but here are just a few that have achieved impact. Put your support behind causes you believe in, or start a petition of your own.
- Share your knowledge with the world – We all turn to Wikipedia in times of need. Why not spend an hour writing an article on something you’re knowledgeable about. The world will thank you!
- Help explore the ocean floor – Or chart the stars, if that’s more your thing. Either way, collaborating with millions of people has never been more fun.
Nothing pique your interest? Head over to Project Reddit for a vast collection of personal challenges. Enjoy your extra hour, and let us know what you get up to! #onemorehour
Authored by InnoCentive’s Harry Wilson, Program Manager and Siobhán Gibney Gomis, Business Development Director.