According to the Sustainable Development Goals Report of 2018, released by the Secretary-General, the number of people living in areas regarded as “slums” has increased to 883 million. The same report also cites that, as of 2016, 91 percent of people living in urban areas worldwide were not breathing air that meets the World Health Organization’s standards, and more than half of the urban population is exposed to air pollution that is more than twice the recommended standards for safety. This has been a contributing factors to an estimated 4.2 million deaths worldwide.
The United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) #11 seeks to counteract these harsh urban conditions that billions of people worldwide are subjected to. Enel and InnoCentive are also dedicated to pursuing this goal by developing challenges for a global network of solvers who can help develop solutions to a variety of pressing issues.
Enel has also taken an official commitment in pursuing UN SDG#11 at the 2018 Clean Development Mechanism (CDM).
What is SDG #11?
The UN’s goal with SDG #11 is to make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable. Some of the challenges cited by the UN include managing rapid urbanization, which includes providing enough housing and infrastructure to keep up with increasing populations, confronting the environmental impact caused by the growth of urban sprawl, and reducing the vulnerability of cities and people to natural and man-made disasters.
Some of the targets and goals of SDG #11, as developed by the developed by the Inter-Agency and Expert Group on SDG Indicators (IAEG-SDGs) include:
- Ensuring access to adequate, safe, and affordable housing and basic services to all.
- Providing access to safe, affordable, accessible, and sustainable transport systems for all, with a special focus on improving public transit for people in vulnerable situations.
- Enhancing inclusive and sustainable urbanization and human settlement planning in all countries.
- Reducing the per capita environmental impacts of cities
- Providing universal access to safe, inclusive, accessible, and green public spaces.
- Adopting and implementing integrated policies and plans that are inclusive and utilize resources efficiency.
- Supporting underdeveloped countries with financial and technical assistance and helping them build sustainable and resilient buildings utilizing local materials.
Learn more about UN SDG #11, and the progress that has been made in pursuing it, on the UN’s Sustainable Development website.
Enel and InnoCentive Challenges Regarding SDG #11
UN SDG #11 is the driving force behind many of Enel and InnoCentive’s challenges. Some of the recently closed challenges that featured solutions for SDG #11 include:
- Innovative Services for Citizens and/or Municipalities Using Smart Light Poles
- Leveraging Data to Offer Energy Advisory Services
More challenges will be posted soon, so check back to see more SDG-based challenges from Enel at InnoCentive’s Challenge Center.